“We are encouraged to look for a better way to do things.”
The Markel Style inspires us to strive for continuous improvement and that includes our environmental stewardship efforts. At Markel, we have a long-term view. We care deeply about the future and how our actions today affect our world tomorrow, and we continue to take steps to reduce our own impact on the environment and implement more sustainable practices.
Despite a tumultuous year in 2020, combating climate change has remained on the top of the agenda for many . . .
At Markel, we have a long-term view. We care deeply about the future and how our actions today affect our world tomorrow, and we continue to take steps to reduce our own impact on the environment and implement more sustainable practices. Our core business resides in the insurance marketplace, and as such our primary opportunity for positive environmental impact is often in the office, including:
- Markel offices in LEED certified buildings (two certified gold, eight certified silver)
- Fifteen Markel offices are ENERGY STAR labeled
- Touchless faucets and low-flow water restrictions throughout most of our buildings
Clean office environment
- Smoke- and tobacco-free environments
- Filtered water filing stations at our corporate headquarters and most of our other buildings
- Zero VOC interior paints (UL Greenguard Gold certified) used at all our US locations
- Recycling and paper shredding program at our corporate headquarters (217,372 pounds recycled), and reduction of paper consumption through installation of global “follow-you” printing system in 2018
- Participation in “Grounds to Grown On” K-Cup recycling program, styrofoam cups replaced with reusable cups at corporate headquarters, and single-use plastic banned in London offices
- Surplus office equipment and furniture are recycled through donations to not-for-profit organizations
- Flexible schedules, video conferencing, and working remotely to reduce unnecessary travel