Insurance coverages are underwritten by member companies of Markel Corporation, including Markel American Insurance Company; Glen Allen, VA. Not all products and services may be available in all jurisdictions, and the coverage provided by any insurer is subject to the actual terms and conditions of the policies issued. Certain products and services are provided through various non-admitted insurance company subsidiaries of Markel Corporation and are offered through licensed surplus lines brokers. Non-admitted insurance carriers do not generally participate in state guaranty funds and insureds are therefore not protected by such funds.
Forward looking statements
This is a Safe Harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform
Act of 1995. This web site and the site’s material, including documents and
presentations within it, contain forward-looking statements that involve risks
and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of
terms such as believes, expects, estimates, may, intends, plans, will, should
or anticipates or by the negative thereof or similar expressions, or by
discussions of strategy. Markel Corporation has based the forward-looking
statements on beliefs, assumptions, expectations and projections about future
events using information available at the time such statements were made. These
forward-looking statements are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions
about Markel. Discussion of factors that could cause actual results to differ
materially from management's projections, forecasts, estimates and expectations
is contained in Markel's SEC filings, including Forms 8-K, 10-Q and 10-K.
Markel cautions the reader not to place undue reliance on its forward-looking
statements because the assumptions, beliefs, expectations and projections about
future events may and often do materially differ from actual results. Markel
undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to reflect
developments occurring after such statement is made.
contained on this web site is copyrighted material by Markel Corporation. All
rights reserved. No materials from this web site may be copied, reproduced,
republished, posted, or distributed in any way, except as expressly permitted
herein or with the prior consent of Markel Corporation.
MARKEL and its Design are registered trademarks of Markel Corporation. All
other trademarks are property of Markel Corporation or its subsidiaries unless
otherwise designated. The use of these marks, except as expressly permitted
herein or with the prior consent of Markel Corporation is prohibited.
Reference to analysts
Although Markel Corporation may reference or provide a list of analysts on this
web site as a convenience to you, any opinions, estimates or forecasts
regarding Markel Corporation's performance made by these analysts are theirs
alone and do not necessarily represent opinions, forecasts or predictions of
Markel Corporation or its management. Markel Corporation does not by its
reference above or distribution imply its endorsement or sponsorship of, or
concurrence with, such information, conclusions or recommendations of the
analysts or firms.
Links to other materials
of the links available to you through this web site will allow you to leave the
Markel web site. The Internet sites and the material that you can access there
are not under the control of Markel, and Markel makes no representations and
disclaims all liability with respect thereto. The links are provided only for
your convenience, and their inclusion does not constitute nor imply approval or
endorsement by Markel of the sites or their content. If you decide to visit any
third-party sites using the links from this web site, you do so at your own
using this web site, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Markel
Corporation and its subsidiaries, their officers, their directors, their
employees and their agents, from and against any and all losses, claims,
damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal and accounting fees)
that Markel may become obligated to pay arising or resulting from your use of
the web site or your breach of these terms and conditions. Markel reserves the
right to assume or participate, at your expense, in the investigation,
settlement and defense of any such action or claim.
Violations of terms and conditions
the event that you violate or attempt to violate any of the terms and
conditions contained in these legal notices, Markel reserves the right to
terminate your access to this web site immediately, at our sole discretion,
with our without notice of any kind. We also reserve the right to involve and
cooperate with the law enforcement agencies, and to pursue a civil lawsuit or
criminal prosecution for any and all alleged or actual illegal activities
involving this web site.
Legal disputes, severability and choice of law
If there is a legal dispute of any kind about or arising out of the use if this web site, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia will govern such dispute without regard to conflict of law rules. You agree that if any part of these terms and conditions is found to be unenforceable, the remainder of these terms and conditions will remain in full force and effect. By using this web site you expressly agree and submit to personal jurisdiction and exclusive venue in the state and federal courts located in the City of Richmond, Commonwealth of Virginia.
· information we receive from you on applications, customer feedback and survey responses, or other forms, telephone recordings with our representatives, and call centers
· information about your transactions with us, our affiliates, or others
· information we receive from you when you use our website, social media pages, or apps
· information we receive from other third parties, such as agents, producers, consumer reporting agencies, service providers, inspection agencies, or publicly available information from social media services, or governmental agencies
· information we receive for recruitment purposes, this includes information that you or your recruitment agency supply in relation to your candidacy (e.g. your CV, application form) pre-offer, and background checks (administered by a third party) post-offer
Depending on your
relationship with us, you may receive other privacy notices from us providing
additional detail about our privacy practices.
Information we may collect about you
The types of personal information we collect and share depends on the product or service you have with us. This information can include the following:
· your name, mailing and email address(es), telephone number, date of birth, gender, marital or family status, identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies (i.e., Social Security or FEIN, driver’s license or other license number) employment, education, occupation
· your policy coverage, claims, premiums and payment history from your dealings with us, our affiliates, or others
· your financial history from other insurance companies, financial organizations or consumer reporting agencies, including but not limited to payment card numbers, bank account or other financial account number and account details, credit history and credit scores, assets and income and other financial information
· your medical history and records
· your browsing history, search history, information on your interaction with our website, your application, or advertisement
· other personal information required in order for us to provide products and services that you have requested
Personal information does not include:
· publicly-available information from government records
or aggregated consumer information
Why we collect information about you
We may process personal
information for certain legitimate or lawful purposes in some or all of the
· to correspond with clients, beneficiaries and claimants in order to facilitate the insurance policies or services
· to maintain our accounts and records
· to defend or make claims
· for recruitment purposes
· for the performance of a contract with you or to take steps to enter into a contract
· to comply with a legal obligation
· to comply with law enforcement, court and regulatory bodies’ requirements
· to identify and prevent fraud
· to modify, personalize or otherwise improve our services or communications
· to gather market intelligence, communicate with and tailor offers to individuals
· for training and quality purposes
· to enhance the security of our network and information systems
· for the
performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of
an official authority
How we may use your personal information
We may use your personal
information in the following ways:
· to process your transaction with us, for instance, to determine eligibility for coverage, to process claims or to prevent fraud
· to identify you and to carry out any identity checks as may be required by applicable law and best practice at any given time
· to recover any payments due to us and where necessary to enforce such recovery through the engagement of debt collection agencies or taking other legal action
· to analyze it in order to understand the service we provide and in order to improve our business
· to manage our infrastructure, business operations and comply with internal policies and procedures
· to notify you about changes to our products or services
· to comply with applicable laws and regulatory obligations
· to monitor calls and transactions to ensure service quality, compliance with procedures
· to carry out background and reference checks, in relation to recruitment specifically
· to provide
you with information about the online services or required notices
Sharing your personal information
We use and share your personal information with affiliated and non-affiliated third parties for the purposes of underwriting insurance, administering your policy or claim and other purposes as permitted by law.
We may disclose personal information about you to the following types of third parties:
· service providers, such as insurance agents and/ or brokers, claims adjusters, or reinsurers
· governmental authorities and non-affiliated third parties as permitted by law
restrict access to personal information about our customers/claimants to those
individuals who need to know that information to provide products and services
to our customers/claimants or as permitted by law. We train our employees
to safeguard personal information. We maintain reasonable physical,
electronic, and procedural safeguards to guard your personal information in
accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Do Not Track signals: We do not support this at this time. This practice maybe revised in the future.
Social Security numbers
We protect the confidentiality of your Social Security number by reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards as required by law.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from minors, including children under the age of 13. Our products, services, and website are not intended for use by minors.
Links to other websites
This website may contain links to other third-party websites. If you follow a link to any of those third- party websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies or processing of your personal information.
For residents of AZ, CT, GA, IL, ME, MA, MN, MT, NV, NJ, NC, OH,
OR, and VA
Under state law, under certain circumstances, you have the right to access and request correction, amendment or deletion of your personal information that we have collected from or about you. To do so, contact your agent, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (888) 560-4671, or write to Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA 23060.
For a copy of our Privacy Notices, please click here: U. S. Consumer Privacy Notice
For further information, please contact us at email@example.com, or call (888) 560-4671, or write to Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA 23060.
For residents of California
The categories or personal information we have collected from consumers within the last twelve (12) months includes the following:
Your name, mailing and email address(es), telephone number, date of birth, gender, marital or family status, identification numbers issued by government bodies or agencies (i.e., Social Security number or FEIN, driver’s license or other license number), or other similar identifiers.
Personal Information categories listed in the California Customer Records Statute (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.809(e)
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
Your policy coverage, claims, premiums and payment history from your dealings with us, our affiliates, or others. Your financial history form other insurance companies, financial organizations or consumer reporting agencies.
Your medical history and records.
Internet or other similar network activity
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
Physical location or movements.
Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information.
Professional or employment-related information
Current or past job history or performance evaluations. For recruitment purposes, this includes information you or your recruitment agency supply in relation to your candidacy (e.g. your CV, application form) pre-offer, and background checks (administered by a third party) post-offer.
Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99))
Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.
Other personal information required in order for us to provide products and services you have requested.
Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, includes but not limited to:
· health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act or clinical trial data
· personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act , the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold your personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
· Calling us at (888) 560-4671
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Write to Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
· provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative
· describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
We do not and will not sell your personal information. Also, we do not sell the personal information of consumers we actually know are less than 16 years of age, unless we receive affirmative authorization (the “right to opt-in”) from either the consumer who is between 13 and 16 years of age, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years of age. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights, unless permitted by the CCPA.
Other California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email or write to the address listed below.
· Phone: (888) 560-4671
· Website: www.markel.com/privacy-policy
· Email: email@example.com
· Postal Address:
Markel Corporation Privacy Office, 4521 Highwoods Parkway, Glen Allen, VA