We thought of everything so you don't have to. Use this list of 75 questions when working out the details with your wedding venue.
Published on January 1, 2020
You want your wedding day to be perfect. Essential to your special day is finding your perfect venue. It's important that the venue you choose can accommodate all of your needs, so we put together a list of questions to ask wedding venues as a guide in helping you choose the venue that is right for you.
Questions to ask your wedding venue
- Is the venue available on the date you need it?
- How many guests can the banquet room accommodate?
- What are their wedding packages and what is included?
- What other events are going on at the venue on the same day?
- Is there another event scheduled for your room at a different time during the same day?
- How long are you able to have the room?
- What rooms are included? Bathrooms, bridal party rooms, lounge area, cocktail area, and coatroom?
- Is there a designated smoking area?
- Is an outdoor area included for a cocktail reception?
- Is the room accessible for disabled guests?
- Is there a secure area to store the wedding gifts?
- What does a typical layout of the room on the wedding day look like?
- Do they have photographs to show you of other receptions?
- Can you come back and see it set up for another wedding?
- Who is the main venue contact for day of wedding?
- Is there anything you need to bring in that they do not have?
- When can you start decorating?
- Are there decorating restrictions?
- Can the centerpieces contain candles?
- What do they use for table settings?
- What decorations does the venue provide?
- Do you have to provide your own place cards?
- How many people can sit at one table?
- Are there booster seats or high chairs available for children?
- What are the different ways the venue serves food? Buffet, family style, individual plates?
- Do they provide in-house catering? If not, do they have a preferred list of caterers?
- Can you arrange for a tasting?
- Is there a cost for a tasting?
- What does the venue provide for drinks with the meal?
- Can they accommodate special diets?
- How many choices can you offer your guests for meals?
- How many wait staff will be provided?
- Do they provide a place for the cake?
- Do they provide a cutting knife?
- Is there a cake-cutting fee?
- Does the venue have a liquor license to serve alcohol?
- Does the venue provide the alcohol and bar service?
- What drinks are included in the pricing?
- Do they provide a cash bar or an open bar?
- Does the venue hire the bartenders and is there a charge per bartender?
- Do they charge for unopened bottles after the reception?
- Is there a corkage fee?
- Are there any restrictions on the type or quantity of alcohol to be served?
- Can wine be given as a party favor?
- Can you bring in a band or DJ?
- What do they have for a sound system? Speakers, microphones, etc.?
- When can the band or DJ set up?
- How many people does the dance floor accommodate?
- What time do they allow the music to play until?
- What is the total cost and what is required for a deposit?
- Do they offer payment plans?
- What type of payment can they take – cash, check, credit card?
- What it their cancellation policy?
- What are the insurance requirements for you and your vendors?
- Does the venue have its own insurance coverage?
- Are there any photograph or video restrictions?
- What suggestions do they have for locations to photograph?
Rain Back-up Plan (for outdoor locations)
- Do they have outdoor covered areas such as canopies or tents in case of rain?
- Do they have indoor space available if you need to move people outside to inside?
- Do they have a generator for power outages?
- Can the venue accommodate the ceremony?
- Are the ceremony and reception held in the same room or separate rooms?
- If same room, what can be expected for set up and take down to switch over from the ceremony to the reception?
- How long will it take?
- Does the venue provide the seating for the ceremony?
- What is the cost to have both the ceremony and reception at the venue?
- Are you able to have a rehearsal at the venue and a rehearsal dinner?
- Can rose petals be strewn?
- Are there overnight accommodations or do they partner with local hotels?
- What are the room rates?
- Is there a wedding discount for blocks of rooms?
- Where do guests park and how many spots are available?
- Is there valet?
- Is there a cost to park?
- What else is going on that night that may make it difficult for guests to park?
We hope this list of questions helps guide you in preparing for your big day. But, even with the best planning, there are situations that can occur that are out of your control. That is why we recommend wedding insurance.
Markel offers wedding cancellation insurance, which reimburses you for lost deposits and non-refundable amounts if you have to cancel or postpone your wedding due to unforeseen circumstances. It can cover stolen gifts, a wrecked gown, lost wedding rings and more. Coverage can be purchased anytime up to 14 days before your event, and policies start as low as $130.
In addition, Markel offers wedding liability insurance, protecting you from incidents such as property damage to the wedding reception venue or injury to a guest. Up to $2 million in wedding liability insurance can be purchased from Markel any time up to 1 day before your event and covers your ceremony and reception, rehearsal and setup/takedown. Policies start as low as $75.