In an effort to expedite third party expense-only invoice processing and firm reimbursement, we have the following process in place. Your firm must enter expense invoices directly into Legal Exchange. Please note that no law firm fees may be submitted on an expense only invoice. By following the steps below, the invoice will be routed for priority processing within 10 business days or less:
To enter third party expense only invoices:
- Expense invoices may be entered at any time—you do not need to wait for the quarterly legal invoice.
- More than one expense may be included on an expense invoice, but each must be entered as a separate line item (no fees may be included on an expense invoice).
- “EXP” must be included at the end of the invoice number to receive the expedited routing/approval process, OR “expense invoice” must be included in the invoice description field.
- Each expense line item must include:
- Date should be the date the service was provided
- “Line Item Description” must include the vendor name and description of the expense
- “Units” should be “1”
- “Rate” should be the amount of the invoice
- Attach the vendor invoice(s) to the expense invoice
- Submit the invoice to Markel
Expense invoices should not include travel-related expenses or Markel’s direct bill vendors (see Markel’s e-billing home page for details). All documentation and approval (if required) must be attached to the invoice before submitting. Markel will send the payment/deductible letter to the firm, not the vendor. The firm is then responsible for forwarding the deductible letter to the insured or making the payment to the vendor.